Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Reading Fantasies



With a little more than a week left and not nearly enough time for everything that I need to do, I am having fantasies of vacation and more specifically, fantasies about having time to read something that is not a textbook or a scholarly journal article. When the pressure gets to be too much, I imagine myself on the airplane with Sweetness, taking off and cracking open a new book.

I mentioned this before, but I am completely serious when I say that I am looking for recommendations for a good vacation read. I am not a huge fan of chick lit, so you can throw that genre out. I love to laugh, out loud, when I read. I could use a good laugh. I am not afraid of non-fiction, and in fact seem to read more and more of it as I get older. Please recommend away.

I like to bring three or four books with me, as I am kind of fickle about what I like to read and when. I'm like most of you, as far as I can tell, in that I have several books going at the same time. I'll be bringing a couple of these alond with me, but I want to have at least two more. Our flights and hotels are booked, I'm wrapping up my quarter and I am dreaming of a good read.

9 comments:

Splotchy said...

If you haven't already read it, try The Areas Of My Expertise, by John Hodgman.

It's a collection of fictional factoids -- not really something you read straight through, but just peruse at your leisure.

Perfect for what you're looking for -- laugh-out loud reading that doesn't demand a lot of attention or time.

Tenacious S said...

Thanks, Splotchy!

lulu said...

Dp you want to borrow Special Topics in Calamity Physics?

Tenacious S said...

That sounds good too!

Moderator said...

The collected works of Philip Roth should be and probably will be taught in every high school and college worldwide. But his funniest novel is "Portnoy's Complaint." Also, Woody Allen has a new book out but I'm probably the only one that might still find it funny. Hopefully, no one will notice when I completely plagiarize it in the near future as I've done with most of his work.

Phil said...

The Amazing Adventures Of Cavalier and Caly. Michael Chibon.

I think Lulu will back me up on this.

lulu said...

phil--I think she still has my copy of it, but I don't think she's finished it yet.

Tenacious S said...

Phil, Lulu is right. Actually that and Punk Rock Dad are the two I've already started that I'll be bringing with me, but I'm hoping to get through a couple more. It's been so hard to be in school and to have to give up so much of my free time, which in turn has meant giving up my reading. I am intrigued by what I am studying in school, but it can be a little heavy and dry sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Bob Spitz' "The Beatles" and I think you would too.

Also, "Live from New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live" by James Miller and Tom Shales.

Both are a blast.