Monday, January 14, 2008

This is What I Look Like When I Am a Little Angry


I just found out today that I got a B in my last class. I am not happy. I am especially not happy because I worked harder and longer on that term paper than any other. It virtually ruined Christmas for our family. I deserve an A for the sacrifice alone! Further irritating me is that I was given a grade with no explanation of anything. Last I checked, I was still getting an A. What the hell happened? This is exactly why I hate grad school. This is what I remember from last time.

Last time I was in school, I had to drive well over an hour to get there. One semester I drove all the way down to pick up a copy of our take home final only to find out that the professor hadn't made enough copies and that she was nowhere to be found. Mind you, this was before the days of email. I had to *&%$$%%% drive back two days later to get a copy and then had two days less to complete the stupid thing.

What I remember is that if you didn't read your professor right, you could have your grade lowered just because they never really articulated what it was they were expecting. I followed the rubric exactly for this paper. It was edited over and over again. It was plenty long and well supported. I just want to know at this point what I did wrong so I don't do it again.

In a way, as irritated as I am, it is a blessing in disguise. I no longer have a prayer of Magna Cum Laude. That was a ridiculous pressure I was putting on myself. I guess now maybe I'll be a little more relaxed about this. I'm not perfect. My grades aren't perfect. Oh well.

I am even happier that I am taking this quarter off. I probably needed a little perspective. Towards the end, I kind of felt like I was on a runaway train with no hope of controlling it or stopping it. It was a bad ride. Maybe when I go back I'll be able to enjoy it a little more. I am learning lots of cool stuff and all that matters in the end is that I get my degree and get on with my life.

6 comments:

Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

wow, whatcha look like when you're REALLY pissed? And besides, it IS a blessing-- what the hell were you going to DO with all that loud cum anyway?? Keep it in shampoo bottles??

...Lord, I apologize...

lulu said...

Remember Arther? Arther looked like that all the time? Think he was always angry?

dguzman said...

Hi-first time here, from Beth Coffey's. I wanted to say not to worry about the grades. That's the beauty of grad school--after you get that piece of paper, no one cares about GPA. That's just for undergrad degrees. Still--I too would demand to know what happened on the paper. Of course, the prof probably didn't grade it, and just gave you a B on "feel" alone. A-holes!

Joe said...

Man, you are making me SO glad I took the wimp's way out and decided not to go to grad school this year.

BeckEye said...

So, you're not a magna cum laude pussy?

Oh! Thank you, fat guy from "Basic Instinct."

Aaaanyway, B is still above average. And like dguzman said, no one cares about the GPA in the real world. I don't even think they care about the degree. Something I wish someone would've told me before I spent thousands of dollars on an education. Every time I play Life with my nieces now, I always take the "start career" path instead of going to college. I tend to win a lot.

Coaster Punchman said...

These grades will probably be meaningless anyway (and anyway a B is not like failing.) You remind me of a lawyer friend of mine who wrote papers for her brother when he was in college and she was incensed every time "she" got a B. I'd say a B is pretty good especially for someone who isn't even taking the class!