Thursday, August 31, 2006

WWBD (What Would a Behaviorist Do?) Vol. III



Dear Behaviorist,
I have an unhealthy relationship with another blog owner. Some people think we're the same person...but we're not. He wants me to *throw down*, but I can't stop *throwing up*! Should I take dance lessons to calm my inner demons?

Signed,
Definitely Not Grant Miller

Dear Definitely,
As we say in the biz, "Put it on extinction." While dance lessons may help you to recover from this toxic relationship, the more important issue is dealing with the behavior of the offending party. If this person is engaging in behavior that is unacceptable to you and you do not want to do the dance of anger, I recommend that you extinguish this party's behavior. Extinction is a planned ignoring of the behavior and is rather effective tool in reducing behavior issues. Initially, you can expect to see an increase in the behavior that is targetted. This is called an extinction burst. No matter how outrageous the behavior, do not engage at this point or you will reinforce the outrageous behavior by giving it attention. After the burst, you will probably begin to see a decline in the behavior. Take data if you have dificulty keeping track of it. I suggest both duration and frequency counts in this case. If you are *tenacious* enough, you will see results. Good luck and remember to take care of yourself.

Eternally Controlling,
The Behaviorist

8 comments:

echo said...

I think I might cry... just like I did when I read Don't Let's Go To The Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller. Full on weeping...

Tenacious S said...

You need a total poker face for extinction. Suck it up. This is when we have to be strong.

echo said...

I was crying because it was a work of beauty. My nefrious mind is hell bent on *extinguishing* him!

So, we just ignore him, Brain?

echo said...

OR!!! I'll setup an account with the name *Oche*! Tenacious S? I think we're going to take over the world...well...er...at least Grant Miller's world (insert maniacal laughter here...)

Tenacious S said...

Watch him explode. It's really amusing to watch someone who wants to fight squirm when no one fights back, and completely blow when they are totally ignored.

echo said...

Tomorrow! We ride!

Don't know where I got that turn of phrase, but I like it...alot.

Tenacious S said...

Uh, this rider won't be home until about 7, so plan your battles accordingly. Although I may be available for a pre-dawn attack.

Coaster Punchman said...

Don't let's recreate a Wisconsin Dells style vacation here.