Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Keeping It Close To Home



Much like the woman in this video, I have now come close to completing the items on this checklist. Eating local has been the challenge of the year. I will admit that sometimes I fail, but more often than not, with just a little bit of extra effort, it is absolutely possible to eat local. It helps that Bink's favorite food is Whitefish, which is a fish of the Great Lakes. It helps that Sweetness' favorite snack is apples. It helps that we all have a fondness for root veggies, which kept us on track this winter. I'm looking forward to a summer of fabulous local crops, including our own. If I could keep a chicken, I'd do that too! It's all the small things that we do that will keep our beautiful earth healthy longer. And don't forget to turn out the lights!

5 comments:

lulu said...

Ooooooooo! One of those great exotic chickens that look like Rod Stewart?

Tenacious S said...

Absolutely! Do you think the neighbors will mind?

lulu said...

Knowing your neighbors, it might get eaten.

Joe said...

Have you read "The Omnivore's Dilemna" or "In Defense of Food"? Both excellent books, particularly the former.

We're looking around for a CSA coop to join this summer, and I think my better half has found a farm where we can buy a side of beef. It's not much, but it's a start.

It helps that the farmer's market starts up in a few weeks.

Cup said...

I'm trying to eat more local foods. We have a lot of casual markets around town, where local farmers open their truck beds with their organic crops. It's fun to stroll with a basket on Saturday morning, pick up some fresh food, and cook it that night.