Monday, July 14, 2008

Pennies From Heaven

You know how sometimes when you need it most, something simple and really nice happens. Yesterday I went next door to my neighbor's home to wish her a happy birthday and ran into another friend of mine. Turns out that she had this extra ticket to go see Yaz tonight that was already paid for. She asked if I was interested and told me it was mine if I wanted it. Really? Who says "no" to a free Yaz ticket? Truthfully, I had thought about going, but felt that it was really more than I could afford at the time. So now, here I am, thinking about going to the show tonight and feeling really fortunate that I have friends who are so generous and gracious. I have been the recipient of this kind of graciousness quite a bit lately and it has made all the difference in the world to me.

Yaz is one of those bands that is part of the soundtrack of my life. Not only do they bring back memories of late nights of dancing, but some of their quieter songs remind me of driving around or sitting in my room and just contemplating my then young life and all of its ups and downs. Alison Moyet is one of my very favorite female vocalists and I am looking forward to hearing her voice live more than anything else right now. So I guess tonight is kind of a trip down memory lane, but also an ode to friends who seem to show up at just the right moment.



Update: The show was absolutely fabulous! Everyone was either dancing or, for the more introspective songs, just sitting in awe of Allison Moyet's voice. She was flawless live. Just as powerful and perfect as she sounds on record. She also seemed to be having the time of her life and was all smiles between each song, seeming to just be soaking in the praise of her fans and having a blast doing what she loved. It was very clear that she has a very positive connection to their music and that she adores Vince Clarke.

6 comments:

lulu said...

Lucky you! Have fun.

If she had been thin she would have been a huge star, you know?

Melinda June said...

will you go to shows with me once I move to chicago? I really miss live music.

Tenacious S said...

Mindy, I am your girl! The question is, will you want to go to as many as I like to go to? I'm really looking forward to you being here. Hope the move goes well.

Cup said...

YAZ IS BACK???????????????

Joe said...

Sounds like a blast. I'm sorry I didn't know about this, my better half would've loved it. She listened to them constantly when we were first shacked up together.

Melinda June said...

Ten, I'll take that challenge! In fact, we're looking at a place a few blocks from Shuba's, or wherever it was we went on New Year's Eve for Tom's birthday.